TLBB: The Last Big Breakage

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Mar 16 22:16:56 PDT 2014

Am Mon, 17 Mar 2014 03:57:10 +0000
schrieb "Jesse Phillips" <Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com>:

> On Sunday, 16 March 2014 at 21:15:29 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> > Please think hard about this. Why does it need to break code?
> > Can't we have a proper deprecation cycle?
> > Until now it was always possible to add proper deprecation
> > warnings and allow people to transition code at their own pace.
> > I'm optimistic a solution can be found here too.
>
> Deprecation is breaking code, it's a good way to to do it, but
> you shouldn't kid yourself that it isn't a breaking change.

It certainly is a subjective matter. I usually skim though the
change log, install the new compiler and cross my fingers.
Then if I get a few deprecation messages with IDE links to the
source that's ok for me every two months or so. I just try to
fix these locations immediately instead of changing the build
options to include -d.
Silent breaking changes are a totally different beast.

But it certainly depends on time pressure, how much
infrequently maintained libs you use etc.

At the end of the day I see no way for D to evolve "correctly"
with the man power it has and the demands for both a stable
target and improvements to so many things from
final-by-default over "scope" to "shared".
If we collected all these bits in a list we would see that
they can't all be fixed in one release and things are still
going to break quite a few times in the future. TLBB? Not
quite there yet! ;-)

--
Marco