Final by default?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Mon Mar 17 00:23:15 PDT 2014

On 17 Mar 2014 00:05, "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/2014 1:04 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Indeed other stuff needs to be done, it just so happens that thanks to
>> sys.posix's bad design splitting out other modules into ports will be
more a
>> pain.  But it shows how *no one* in that thread who responded either
against the
>> first pull, or went off and hijacked the second had a Scooby about the
issue
>> being addressed.  Didn't even have the curiosity to give alternate
suggestions.

> The 731 pull added more files under the old package layout.

I acknowledged that in the original PR comments. I said it wasn't ideal
before you commented. I had made a change after you commented to make
things a little more ideal.  But came across problems as described in my

No one really gave any feedback I could work with.  But 731 is the idea
that people I've spoken to agree with (at least when they say separate
files they make no reference to packaging it), and no one has contended it
in 11666 either.  It just needs some direction when it comes to actually
doing it, and I feel the two showstoppers are the sys.linux/sys.windows
lark, and the absence of any configure in the build system.

> The 732 added more files to the config system, which I objected to.

Better than creating a new ports namespace.  But at least I toyed round the
idea. It seems sound to move things to packages and have

version (X86)
  public import x86stuff;
version (ARM)
  public import armstuff;

But it just doesn't scale beyond a few files, and I think I showed that
through the PR, and I'm satisfied that it didn't succeed and that became
the logical conclusion.

Everyone in the conversation however never once used the words ARM, MIPS,
PPC, X86... The strange fixation on the word POSIX had me scratching my
head all the way through.