TLBB: The Last Big Breakage

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:36:59 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 08:48:36 UTC, Andrea wrote:
> IMHO we have a bunch of breaking changes already planned for
> the future and it'll be a bit more difficult than that to fix
> the code. Maybe I'm not aware of it and it already exists, but
> we should create a page where deprecated features are listed,
> the reasons behind the deprecation briefly described and small
> examples on how to fix the code are provided.

The change log has been doing pretty good with this on for each
release.

Otherwise, DIPs are kind of supposed to cover this, which would
also help on planned breaking changes. There is an old list,
which isn't even too much out of date, if at all.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel#FutureDirections

One of the biggest problems is that there doesn't tend to be any
really clear statement of when a change has been approved.
Usually it happens that someone implements it, and suddenly it is
in the next compiler build. I feel that keeping the change log
updated with this stuff is more important than the planning part.