Appropriateness of posts

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Mon Mar 17 10:03:22 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 16:09:34 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 15:50:12 UTC, Graham Fawcett wrote:
>> On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 10:47:07 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess at a certain age people lose their sense of humor.
>
>> The pervasive sexism in our profession is a serious problem,
>> and should be addressed wherever it's found. If keeping sex
>> jokes...
>
> Sex jokes do not imply sexism. They can form a part of it, but
> I do not see evidence of that in this community at all.

I agree that this community doesn't seem unhealthy; and also
that, in general, sex jokes aren't necessarily a sign of sexism.
But I also think it's smart to establish a wide margin on
community practice. Correcting small, potentially harmful
behaviours sets a boundary, and avoids having to deal with
larger, certainly-harmful behaviours later on.

There are plenty of appropriate forums for sex jokes on the
Internet, we can surely live without them here.

Graham