Formal review of std.buffer.scopebuffer

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Mar 17 11:10:37 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 15:37:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/17/14, 6:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Closing this seeing as Andrei has just merged it as
>> std.internal into
>> master. I am very angry about the way it has happened.
>
> What happened now??
>
> Andrei

1)
Walter has been pushing for getting this through the review queue
to the point where I needed to ask Brian to delay voting for his
module and switch to proceeding with Walter's. It didn't do any
harm this time as Brian got busy anyway but I am very unhappy
that I even had to do it.

Now it suddenly gets cancelled and merged, internal or not (the
very existence of std.internal rings a bell but it is a different
story). Why bother me and push on Brian if you are just going to
hurry merge it?

2)
There has been several very important concerns raised by
monarch_dodra about how this specific implementation fits into D
type system. He still finds absolutely horrible lines of code in
that PR thread right here and now. I am absolutely ashamed of the
fact that we have now non-legacy code in Phobos that breaks the
immutable/const system (most recent finding).

Some of such concerns has been straight rejected with appeal to
authority and those who asked have been treated as if it is their
guilt. You can't both try to sell D as community project and
practice such workflow.

3)
I have been asking in that PR why this proposal is even
considered urgent when it looks like unexpected emergency focus
put in completely wrong moment, before addressing basic issue of
same domain. It wasn't only my question but also seconded by
Martin Nowak. There is only one answer from Walter which does not
actually answer any of those questions but continues that
ridiculous "performance-performance-performance" main line.

This looks terribly like panic-driven development.