Remember that Go vs D MQTT thing and how we wondered about dmd vs gdc?

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Mon Mar 17 14:24:52 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 17:02:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> That is no wonder.
>
> If you search the web for references, you will find that Rob
> Pike very much dislikes OOP.

All right, but what is then the solution to encapsulate things? A
type switch breaks encapsulation: If you change some inner works
of component A you might have to extend the type switch in
Component B. I understand the argument that dynamic binding is a
high price to achieve this, but a type switch as in Go that
simply breaks encapsulation is not very convincing.

> When I jumped into Go as of the language's announcement, was
> due to the language influence of Oberon.

Do you have some affiliation with the ETHZ? Oberon didn't spread
much outside of it. I played with Oberon many years ago and I
also recognized similarities of it in Go. Just read about it
again to recap and it was striking to see how much the Oberon
WITH statement resembles a Go type switch. I guess Niklaus Wirth
would like Go ...