Finally full multidimensional arrays support in D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Mar 17 15:10:54 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 01:55:31AM +0400, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> 17.03.2014 21:39, Denis Shelomovskij пишет:
> >Multidimensional arrays indexing and slicing syntax is finally added [1]
> >(thanks to Kenji Hara). So it was a good cause to update my
> >multidimensional arrays library implementation and add support for the
> >new syntax. So here we are: [2].
> >
> >Also should we add it to the standard library?
> >
> >[1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/443
> >[2] http://denis-sh.bitbucket.org/unstandard/unstd.multidimarray.html
> >

> An important note:
> My proposal is just a sliceable multidimensional array implementation,
> a try to provide the same effort we have for simple arrays for
> multidimensional ones. It isn't aimed to be a dedicated matrix /
> linear algebra module.
[...]

It will be a good low-level module that will allow a linear algebra
module to be built on.

I am against the idea of conflating multidimensional arrays with
matrices; the operations and interpretations are not the same, and it
leads to poor designs (I've tried it before, and the results were not so
good). Better have a general multidimensional array with per-element
operations, and then build matrix algebra as a separate module by using
multidimensional array as underlying storage implementation.

Answer: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion. / Question: Why is top posting bad?