Appropriateness of posts

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Tue Mar 18 03:08:58 PDT 2014

On 17 March 2014 21:01, Andrei Alexandrescu
> On 3/17/14, 11:49 AM, John Colvin wrote:

>>> Appropriateness of a joke is purely defined by a culture and is
>>> completely subjective. It is perfectly fine to define your own rules
>>> on your forum. Trying to appeal to some common morale as a basis for
>>> that is not.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> As I mentioned in my post below, almost anything is offensive to
>> someone, somewhere.
>

> Heh, case in point - there was a gentleman going by "Ramon" at a point in
> this forum who flew off the handle taking offense at something I said (no
> idea what exactly that was).
>

>> You won't find a unified view of "Inappropriate" even among a very
>> homogenous group of people, let alone an ad hoc group of collaborators
>> and users spanning the entire globe, an age range of 60+ years and a
>> wide variety of religious/cultural/political views and environments.
>

> One can argue that it's all relative but that's rather ineffective. The
> reality is I do work at Facebook with people from all over the globe and
> though cultural adaptation is on rare occasions an issue, it's never been
> considered inapproachable or even difficult.
>
> That said, I don't think it's time to establish community guidelines etc.
> although at some point larger participation might create a need.

+1

I haven't read any other comments in that thread apart from the
response from Andrei, so I can't comment for any responses after, or
the appropriateness of them.  But just incase you missed the original
point entirely.  I was suggesting a marketing strategy for Andrei in
the form of sarcasm.  For those who don't understand sarcasm, it's a
traditionally British art-form, much like Blasphemy being a
traditionally Italian - particularly around the region of Tuscany.

This suggestion was not spontaneous, inspired in fact by the
impression he gives off when he goes on about publicising D.

A recent example, set a few days *after* dlang.sexy. I made him aware
that GDC has started (fingers cross) doing regular binary build
releases for Linux native and ARM cross compilers.

The Response was:  "We need a README, a Blog Post, a Public
Announcement, and Glamorous TV Adverts!"

OK - I made that last bit up.  But given my ineptitude towards social
media, I see all forms of social media advertisement as tedious forms
of alluring appeal.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my suggestion Andrei. :)