Appropriateness of posts

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Mar 17 23:59:08 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 22:12:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> American broadcast standards have nothing to do with american
> culture, they're famously disconnected. That's the problem with
> them and (I assume) what Ola was pointing out: Try not to
> offend anyone (as the FCC implicitly forces broadcasters to

Sort of. The only shared knowledge foreigners have of US norms is
what the see on TV. Unfortunately it affects culture too. Even
here in Norway I see regressions related to the (naked) human
body among some young people, which probably is caused by more TV
series being american (cheaper production).

I personally take offence that someone would tell a woman that
breastfeeding in public or at work would be unacceptable. It is
completely natural and should be allowed anywhere. Babie's needs
first. Yet, you'll find someone object to it, not because they
personally find it offensive ( who would? ), but because of some
odd unhealthy norm. The only way to move that norm is to actually
breastfeed in public.

Who is the jerk? The woman breast feeding at work during lunch,
or the person telling her that it is unprofessional and direct
her to do it behind closed doors?

What is more politically correct?

> do), and you're automatically adopting the sub-culture of the
> craziest, biggest knee-jerkers in existence, no matter how
> uncommon and non-representative their "get offended any
> anything and everything" actually is.

I think it is OK to say that you are PERSONALLY offended. What is
not OK is to censor others because some unknown entity might be
offended. Deleting or closing the .sexy thread for being
off-topic is quite ok though.

> Personally I'm offended by knee-jerk ethics (I'm not being coy
> about that, I really do find it highly offensive), which throws
> the whole idea of not offending anyone right out the window.

:-)

I was once told not to bring up politics (George Bush) in casual
game chat by a US player, because it might be taken as offensive
by someone. I found that shocking.

I was once told in game chat by a US player that I could not use
the term "shit" because it was such an offensive word. I was
surprised. In scandinavia the word is so mild it basically means
"ouch", it can even have positive connotations "skitbra" == "shit
good" (really good).