Appropriateness of posts

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Mar 18 07:24:35 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 18 March 2014 at 13:05:31 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I think the issue there probably isn't so much "offense", but
> the fact that american discussion of politics is notoriously
> volatile, and in a mixed-group is pretty much guaranteed to
> erupt in a flame war.

Well, it was right after his re-election and the person who told
me not to talk about it agreed with my sentiments, and nobody
complained about it either. This was on closed guild chat. It was
a case of "somebody might be upset" where nobody actually was
upset.

> That mildness of "shit" is true of probably around half of
> americans, too.

Yes, again nobody was upset, it was a case of "somebody might get
upset".  I actually don't consider "shit" to be cussing at all.
:-)

I keep reading comments from people on the net claiming that
Linus Thorvalds is acting like a jerk, but I've never seen a
comment from anyone from northern Europe suggesting it.

> Disney-ish way to say "ouch", "oops" or "stuff". But then, the
> US was also home to Puritanism way back when, so there's still
> a lot of those intolerance-disguised-as-ethics attitudes too.

Yes, but it goes deeper I think. Because we are getting more of
it in my country after we got  immigrants (a fairly recent
phenomon). E.g. the neutral term for a black person in Africa was
"neger" (no negative connotations, but a bit exotic and
interesting), while the insulting version was "svarting"
(blackish). Then the immigrants took offence at the neutral term
because they associated it with "nigger" and didn't want to be
associated with tribal Africa, so now the neutral version is
taboo and many children books have to be scrapped (books that are
describing tribal Africa in terms that aren't racist).

So, with more "sensitive issues" beneath the surface you get more
of the superficial politeness. In the US that has been going on
since the early days when various religious groups fled from
Europe. BUT, some people in the US that has not really been much
outside the US thinks that this level of surface-level politeness
is meant to be universal and global.

However, I am upset about the widespread US term "caucasian", not
because it is a bad word, but because of the Aryan connotations
that has some seriously bad vibes to it after 2WW and the nazi
worship of "scandinavian genes".

The term "caucasian" is incredibly bad taste, and I find it
offensive. I cringe when I cross off "caucasian" on US papers. It
is if I am forced to declare myself Aryan.

> the world: "Uhh, what's the big deal?" Personally, I think it's
> positively bonkers to worry about kids being scarred by seeing
> something they themselves used to suck on, but whatever.

Actually kids are more scarred by being told that such things are
taboo. Being relaxed about the human body of others is a good
path to feeling good about your own body.

What is worse: higher rape rate is tied to cultures that make sex
and nudity taboo than cultures that are more relaxed... (rape
becomes a more potent source of power and control if sex and
nudity is a big deal).

(Again, just about all american I've met has expressed that they
have no problems with nudity themselves, and I believe them. But
I've been told that I cannot go swimming in my boxer shorts that
look like swimming trunks because they are underwear and I could
get into trouble over that… i.e. someone MIGHT be offended. Which
is kinds of odd, cause in my own country I can go swimming naked
and basically nobody would be offended, if spotted they might be
amused, but not offended.)

Ola.