A simple sieve in Phobos?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Mar 19 07:07:34 PDT 2014

Am Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:22:55 +0000
schrieb "Andrea Fontana" <nospam at example.com>:

> I miss so much a std.geometry library with operations on 1d 2d
> and 3d objects (intersections, unions, difference, and so on...)
> in d style...
>
> It would open a whole new world for me :)

I wonder if we could finally have that experimental package,
call it "ext" or "etc" or whatever that has only one barrier
to entry: the intent of the module must pass review. The
API and code can build up over time as people start using
it. At some point it can be called finished and thoroughly
reviewed. I think the barrier of entry is currently very high
since the reviews expect perfect quality from the start, but
good things need time to collect corner cases and use cases
that might cause major refactorings.

It's straight forward to implement for rectangles or circles,
but would any design still be good when someone tries to
implement a 2D physics engine on top of that? Would CSG
operations be part of the module? What about paths, curves and
(I.e. you could literally draw the collision shape of a tree
bitmap in Inkscape and load it as 2D geometry.)

--
Marco