inlining...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Wed Mar 19 13:23:38 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 19 March 2014 at 12:35:30 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Okay, do you have use cases for any of this stuff? Are you just
> making it
> up, or do you have significant experience to say this is what
> you need?

I don't need anything, I hand optimize prematurely. And I don't
want to do that.

But yes, inner loops benefits from exhaustive inlining because
you get to move common expressions out of the loop or change them
to delta increments. It is only when you trash the caches that
inlining does not pay off.

I do it by hand. I don't want to do it by hand.

> If you ask me, I have no value in recursive inlining, infact,
> that would
> anger me considerably.

Why? You could always set the depth to 1, or make 1 the default.

And it isn't difficult to implement.