D as A Better C?

Rel relmail at rambler.ru
Thu Mar 20 22:49:12 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 at 15:46:38 UTC, Tim Krimm wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 February 2014 at 12:20:52 UTC, Rel wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> The subset would disallow use of any features that rely on:
>>>
>>> 1. moduleinfo
>>> 2. exception handling
>>> 3. gc
>>> 4. Object
>>>
>>> I've used such a subset before when bringing D up on a new
>>> platform, as the new platform didn't have a working phobos.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>> So may I ask, what is official decision on the subject? Quite
>> a lot of people were begging for it for a long time. Obviously
>> I'd like to have this feature in D because it would finally
>> allow game, embedded, system (and operating system) developers
>> to use good, modern and beautiful language for their needs. As
>> for me I've been waiting for this for a long time. Hacking on
>> compiler and phobos in order to make it generate
>> stdlib-indepentent code may be interesting from time to time,
>> but keeping such kind of project up-to-date with each new
>> version of the compiler can be quite hard. Supporting a subset
>> of D language features suitable for system/embedded
>> programming and porting seems to be the best decision in this
>> case.
>
> I have also been waiting for something like this for a long
> time.
Well in my opinion the language should be started with a fixed
number of features, that are not dependent on runtime, then
improve the language by adding features supported by runtime
library. Too bad that D doesn't officially support a subset
without runtime depemdencies, so we have to either use C/C++ or
keep on trying to hack on of D compilers. On the other hand Rust
can be used without runtime libraries.