Improve D's syntax to make it more python like

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sat Mar 22 08:10:28 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 22 March 2014 at 12:36:17 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I am not convinced. CoffeeScript as a JavaScript dialect hasn't
> really taken off, people just use JavaScript.

Well, I don't know, Dart is in the same vein as CoffeeScript.
Dart is compiling to Javascript and Angular Dart is gaining quite
a bit of interest even before being ready for production.
AngularJS is already quite popular, and more messy than the Dart
version. There is a clear upgrade path from JS->Dart. Dart VM
will most likely be integrated in Chrome by the end of the year
and that probably will have an effect on adoption rate. But, the
Dart semantics are significantly better than
ECMAScript/Javascript. Probably more so than CoffeeScript.

cfront also used to compile to C, but the C++ semantics are more
suitable for OO than C. So it supports a different workflow. (but
cfront as I remember it was nowhere near great)

So, in one aspect I agree, if the dialect is just syntax, then it
has less chance of gaining momentum, but if it better supports a
particular workflow/ type of modelling then it might succeed.

I think a python-like syntax in combination with an interpreter
like environment (in the vain of ipython) could be more suitable
for a particular workflow than the c-like syntax. A strongly
typed, terse and readable language with a good dev environment
could be a real killer.

Prototype in the REPL/interpreter and paste into your editor is
an attractive development proposition.