[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Need for official package manager]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Mar 22 09:23:34 PDT 2014

Am 22.03.2014 15:36, schrieb Russel Winder:
> There has been a long running thread on the Go list about needing a
> package manager, the nay sayers claim there is need for one as Go source
> can import packages from Git (also Mercurial, and also Bazaar)
> repositories. Someone posting this about Rust just to keep the
> discussion going I think.
>
> The news does validate putting effort into Dub for D codes.

I was following the discussion as well, but gave up to post there as I
see just a waste of time against religious arguments.

 From what I have been following, Go's community thinks everyone should
distribute packages as source code with source control paths as import
statements. Thus binding the packages to specific source control
repositories.

With no way of specifying versions and forcing developers to store
source code of all dependencies, while doing search-and-replace to
change import paths.

Not to mention static linking as only means, which leaves out licenses
like LGPL.

If the naysayer win, I see a hard time for Go to gain any traction in
the majority of corporations.

Dub was a very good decision.

--
Paulo