Walter's DConf 2014 Talks - Topics in Finance

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 23 12:36:49 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-23 at 11:46 -0500, evansl wrote:
> On 03/22/14 06:40, Russel Winder wrote:
> [snip]
> > What you are alluding to is the use of Monte Carlo approach to solve
> > some of the models given boundary conditions. This is a "bog standard"
> By "bog standard" do you mean "plain or ordinary?
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bog_standard

Sort of. This webpage almost, but not quite, totally misses all the
British humorous subtleties. But yes. Effectively.

> > approach to numerical modelling.
> >
> [snip]
> > Many of the hedge funds are following in the HEP,
>
> By HEP do you mean "High Energy Physics"?

Oh yes. But I was only involved in HEP when all the software was in
FORTRAN. Recently they have started using Fortran, and even C++. This is
almost certainly Stephen Wolfram's fault.

> [snip]
> > In a number of the major international finance houses a
> > Python/Scala/C++ stack has taken hold. However this is not fixed
> > forever, since whenever the CTO changes the stack tends to as well.
>
> By CTO do you mean "Chief Technology Officer"?

Indeed.

Many companies outside the US hipster company organization theory may
use the term Technical Director. :-)

> TIA.
>
> -regards,
> Larry

Hopefully that is not Page or Ellison. ;-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk