Should we deprecate comma?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 20:23:53 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 03:09:46 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> That was in Phobos too. Fix:

Same misunderstanding all over again. Please understand that
breaking code is the worst thing.

(yes, I'm quoting you back from a future message, but my point is
that the compromise breaks code just like the full-blown
deprecation, while leaving very little value behind.)

> There are of course other ways, too, including defining a
> function that returns its last argument.

Actually, that won't work. Since assert(0) returns void, it is
not a valid function parameter.

But it could also be rewritten as a switch statement. So if the
code is broken, one way or another we'd have to change that
pattern but it is doable, so not the end of the world.