Appropriateness of posts

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Mar 24 00:35:18 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 23 March 2014 at 21:42:46 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
> Tomato, tomato.  I just found it slightly amusing that this is
> where the conversation went, not trying to call anyone or say

Yeah, I agree that it is somewhat interesting. I guess it is a
topic that is in a way fascinating because it easy to discuss and
where regional differences are quite extreme.

Whenever I hear the term "the black community", I get puzzled and
ask myself "what black community?". I guess that is part of the
problem, what does a black professor at MIT and a black drug
dealer in Bronx have in common? Not much, except some exposure to
racism. So whenever the term "black", "african american" etc is
tied to negative news reports the decent majority of black people
feel misrepresented by the term over time. (And news tend to be
negative and like to stick labels to minorities.)

> Yeah... I think I would have been ok with that had he been
> using an obvious alias(Anonymous, etc) or at least wasn't
> mentioned by name...
>
> It does seem in poor taste.

I followed the forums lurking at the time. Ramon is/was very
enthusiatic about D, and shared that enthusiasm with great force.
It is kind of sad when the community does not back up that
enthusiasm and direct it in a direction where it can be of good
use. It is quite common for newbies to be vocal, it happens
because they are enthusiastic and want to bond with other users,
but don't feel they get the response they are looking for. On the
other hand the "veterans" in online communities feel a need to
put the newbies in their proper place. It is a common phenomenon
and is called "newbie bashing" (you see this in the army too). It
is important that moderators step in and take the "welcoming
role", setting a friendly tone, until the newbie has found his
place and figured out "what the community is all about". :-)

I think it is important that the D community realize that C++ is
such an annoyance that finding a better C++, that is not quite
there yet, is both a revelation and a disappointment that can be
quite forceful. I think the D community could utilize this
enthusiasm better. In that regard I think this thread has some
merit. Too many "internal jokes", "weird terminology" and
"unclear decision making paths" might send signals of a community
that is hard to break into.