Appropriateness of posts

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Mar 24 06:31:33 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 07:35:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I followed the forums lurking at the time. Ramon is/was very
> enthusiatic about D, and shared that enthusiasm with great
> force. It is kind of sad when the community does not back up
> that enthusiasm and direct it in a direction where it can be of
> good use. It is quite common for newbies to be vocal, it
> happens because they are enthusiastic and want to bond with
> other users, but don't feel they get the response they are
> looking for. On the other hand the "veterans" in online
> communities feel a need to put the newbies in their proper
> place. It is a common phenomenon and is called "newbie bashing"
> (you see this in the army too). It is important that moderators
> step in and take the "welcoming role", setting a friendly tone,
> until the newbie has found his place and figured out "what the
> community is all about". :-)

D community is single most friendly and helpful place I have ever
seen in the internet. However, friendliness is something that
goes both ways. If person continuously ignores any internal rules
of conduct, demands any special attention or behaves explicitly
hostile, such person has no value for community. It does not
matter if is trolling or simply bad attitude, does not matter if
enthusiasm is real.

Such cases happen time to time but at the same time much more
people are coming and asking questions and getting help and
attention without any single harsh word. It is all about attitude.