A division problem

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Mar 24 12:31:52 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 07:19:58PM +0000, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 03:55:41 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> >Seasoned C/C++/D programmers watch for the types every time they
> >perform a division, to avoid that trap. But less experienced
> >programmers introduce bugs with divisions. Can D help the programmer
> >reduce the frequency of similar bugs? And do we want to?
>
> We are passed the initial stage of designing the language. D is used
> now in lots of real code. The focus now has to be on completing the
> original design, and maybe making small non-breaking improvements
> where practical.  Discussions about fundamental changes to the
> language like this, while interesting, are distracting and
> counterproductive.

Don't we have a wiki page for ideas for "future D" (or D3?)? These ideas
can go on that page.

English is useful because it is a mess. Since English is a mess, it maps
well onto the problem space, which is also a mess, which we call
reality. Similarly, Perl was designed to be a mess, though in the
nicests of all possible ways. -- Larry Wall