A division problem

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Mar 24 12:51:07 PDT 2014

Peter Alexander:

> We are passed the initial stage of designing the language. D is
> used now in lots of real code.

I'd like D improve some more.

> The focus now has to be on completing the original design,

The original D design is to make a language that is "focused on
safety", so we are still working to complete it :-)

> and maybe making small non-breaking improvements where
> practical.

I think the problem raised in this thread could have a very
limited negative impact on correct existing D code, and a
positive impact in finding wrong code.

> Discussions about fundamental changes to the language like this,

It's not a fundamental change, I think it's a sufficiently
limited change. As usual you can be sure only when you apply such
ideas on real D code.

> are distracting and counterproductive.

It's not distracting, because it focuses on something you do
often (divisions), and it's hopefully productive because it could
avoid some bugs and decrease the time spent performing rote
manual code review.

Bye,
bearophile