Appropriateness of posts

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Mar 24 15:24:44 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 13:31:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> D community is single most friendly and helpful place I have
> ever seen in the internet.

All communities rate themselves that way, I think it is somewhere
in the middle. Meaning: there is room for improvement.

There is a little bit too much elitism IMO.

> However, friendliness is something that goes both ways. If
> person continuously ignores any internal rules of conduct,
> demands any special attention or behaves explicitly hostile,
> such person has no value for community. It does not matter if
> is trolling or simply bad attitude, does not matter if
> enthusiasm is real.

It should, because newbie dynamics are particular to newbies.

> It is all about  attitude.

Uhu, but the community/moderators are evaluated by lurkers. Not
by how newbie acts, but how what kind of response they get. If
you deal well with demanding newbies, the community is portraying
itself as welcoming (or even professional):

You can safely assume that 90% of the list "participants" have
never actually written a single word in the newsgroups.

In that regard W.B. was right. The thread being questioned was
very introvert. While maintaining group boundaries is important
they should not establish barriers to entry. In that regard
stating an opposing view diminished the boundary defining aspects
of it.