Improve D's syntax to make it more python like

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Mar 24 15:49:05 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 22:23:50 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Using the same language on client/server is indeed quite nice,
> partly because of less mental context-switching, and also
> because of increased code sharing (which also makes it easier
> to move things between client vs server if you need to).

Yes, especially for data models. It is always annoying to modify
several different layers just to add some fields to a database
entry. Not a big deal, but so… pointless.

> using Haxe pretty heavily for a good while. Haxe is a rather
> "ok" language, which is practically high praise coming from me
> - I'm typically very critical of languages.

I've looked at Haxe from time to time, and I like the approach,
but it has never been sufficient to solve any issues in any real
code I've worked on.

> FWIW though, lately I've been swinging back over to the side of
> "I'd rather use the best language I can whenever possible, code
> duplication and other concerns over multiple languages be
> damnned." Life's too short to tolerate subpar tools.

Yeah, that's where I am at now too. So currently I deal with
Python, Dart (working hard to get rid of Javascript) and C++ (and
dabble with XSLT, Java and Objective-C). But I'd rather use
something more clean and strongly typed like Go and D, but with
Pythonesque terseness and functional style list processing hight
level cleaness. Unfortunately both D and Go lack production level
support. And even with production level support they still lack
production quality libraries for excel handling, pdf generation
etc.