Numbering compiler error messages?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Fri Mar 28 07:46:10 PDT 2014

On Friday, 28 March 2014 at 09:37:52 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> There's another advantage. If you want to change error message
> (or add localization like in visual c++) you still can found
> what the error means.

This is the only decent reason given for numbering and,
considering dmd's not localized yet, is far from being a need.
I'm all for putting better explanations of error messages
somewhere online, but Walter's right that keyword search is a
better interface these days and numbering is unnecessary overhead.

> It should be easier for IDE to parse and give suggestions or
> redirect to an help page to solve the problem.

If there are such help pages for error messages, there's
basically no advantage to numbering over string matching for the
error messages and an additional cost of keeping track of all the
numbers.