Improve D's syntax to make it more python like

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sat Mar 29 00:54:58 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 at 10:28:51 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> So yea, the Haxe language itself wasn't really a key thing for
> me, just what it allowed me to *avoid* doing. But even those
> reasons are loosing their bite for me now, since Flash has
> pretty much become legacy, vibe.d has appeared, and I'd just as
> soon avoid the entire PHP runtime as a whole.

I like the basic idea of Haxe since it in theory would allow
programming cross platform on mobile units, but Apple, Google and
Microsoft have made moves to make cross platform programming more
difficult by deliberately being different for the sake of being
different...

> Heh, I guess that's where we differ ;) I'm...not exactly a big
> Python fan, and I find D totally production-ready.

Well, I wasn't a Python fan until I started using it, and still
don't like the dynamic aspects of it, but the language/library
support is better than the alternatives.

The syntax does not prevent Python from scaling with a decent
IDE, the lack of compile time type safety does. However it is
nice to replace perl, bash, php etc with one cross platform
language. Python manage to cover a lot of ground.

That said I consider using D for a Windows tool (reading CVS
files and uploading the result to a web server as a "cron" job).
If I can do full static linking and just install a single binary
then I can get simple "unbreakable" installs on client computers.