Numbering compiler error messages?

Matt Soucy msoucy at csh.rit.edu
Sun Mar 30 02:20:13 PDT 2014

On 03/29/2014 02:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/29/2014 10:12 AM, froglegs wrote:
>> Having the error number is very
>> useful for googling(yes the complete message will give you hits,
>> but the # is more concise and turns up more hits),
>
> More hits? How is that possible?

For starters, having a URL such as http://dlang.org/error/D123 is
instantly recognizable, so when users see a DXYZ error code before and
remember that they ended up on http://dlang.org/error/DXYZ, they'll be
more likely to remember. (I'm looking at you, MSDN pages with
impossible-to-remember URLs) This way, the user will eventually just
skip the search engine altogether and just go directly to the error's page.

--
Matt Soucy
http://msoucy.me/