[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Need for official package manager]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Mar 31 02:17:20 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 30 March 2014 at 20:54:54 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 3/30/2014 10:01 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes I wonder if anyone would care, if the language wasn't
>> sponsored by Google.
>>

> Isn't that pretty much the main reason it ever got any
> attention in the first place? Not to be snide, just that that's
> been my observation.

I would say yes.

The first features that caught my eye was the Pascal influence in
type declarations and Oberon-2's influence in package format and
how methods are attached to types. Not surprising given that
Robert Griesemer has studied at ETHZ.

Then as language archeologist that I am, I delved into Limbo's
documentation, the system language for Inferno, Plan9 successor.
A project where Rob Pike, Ken Thomson and Dennis Ritchie were
also involved.

It is quite interesting to see how Go is basically a lifting of
Limbo with a bit of Oberon-2 on the side.

Both languages failed in the market at large and except for
archeologists like myself no one cares about them, most likely by
not having such heavy height behind them.

--
Paulo