[Fwd: Re: [go-nuts] Need for official package manager]

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Mar 31 12:45:45 PDT 2014

Am 31.03.2014 18:49, schrieb Russel Winder:
> On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 17:26 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> […]
>> Actually as a ML fan I follow Rust development closely and think it
>> could get a piece of the systems pie.
>
> I too am following Rust development (*): never a day goes by without me
> having to rewrite my codes due to all the changes ;-)

hehe :)

>> The more the merrier, as long as we eventually get rid of C and C++,
>> even if takes a few generations more of developers.
>
> Or C++ evolves into a reasonable language, C already is a reasonable
> language as long as you use it only for appropriate systems, of which
> there are a few, but only a few.

C++ can be quite good, except for compile times, if used as modern C++
alongside automatic memory management idioms.

However it requires skilful developers for it, and most ones I have met
outside CERN teams shouldn't been doing C++ in first place. This is the
main problem with the language.

As for C, for me it was that C++ subset I was obliged to use every time
my teachers required me to do so. As Turbo Pascal refugee, plain C never
pleased me, neither by lack of safety nor by available set of abstractions.

> (*) I just wish the compiler compiled a bit quicker. Whilst it isn't in
> g++ scales, it does take ages compared to Go.

Yeah, I miss native languages with fast AOT compilers like Turbo Pascal
and Delphi.

D is also pretty good, but I cannot use it at work. :(

--
Paulo