More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 1 05:04:33 PDT 2014

Removing class destructors would break my DQt library as it
currently stands, which wraps C++ classes with D classes, Qt uses
classes for polymorphism, for protected overrides and slots. I
would have to consider some other means of wrapping C++. It might
also be confusing for a few people.

So, having said that... I am completely in favour of removing
class destructors. It's a simple principle. When you have to do
less work, things can run faster. So I can see removing class
destructors as a feature leading to reduced pause times.
Destructors exist only for resource management. Doing resource
management through GC... is a bad idea.