Parallel execution of unittests

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 1 10:12:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:01:19 -0400, Atila Neves <atila.neves at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 11:44:12 UTC, w0rp wrote:

>>> I recommend running the tests in random order as well.
>>
>> This is a bad idea. Tests could fail only some of the time. Even if
>> bugs are missed, I would prefer it if tests did exactly the same thing
>> every time.
>
> They _should_ do exactly the same thing every time. Which is why running
> in threads or at random is a great way to enforce that.

But not a great way to debug it.

If your test failure depends on ordering, then the next run will be random
too.

Proposal runtime parameter for pre-main consumption:

./myprog --rndunit[=seed]

To run unit tests randomly. Prints out as first order of business the seed
value before starting. That way, you can repeat the exact same ordering
for debugging.

-Steve