Parallel execution of unittests

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 1 11:38:14 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 17:04:53 UTC, Xavier Bigand wrote:
> Le 01/05/2014 16:01, Atila Neves a écrit :

>>> This is a bad idea. Tests could fail only some of the time.
>>> Even if
>>> bugs are missed, I would prefer it if tests did exactly the
>>> same thing
>>> every time.
>>
>> They _should_ do exactly the same thing every time. Which is
>> why running
>> in threads or at random is a great way to enforce that.
>>
>> Atila
> +1

Tests shouldn't be run in a random order all of the time, perhaps
once in a while, manually. Having continuous integration randomly
report build failures is crap. Either you should always see a
build failure, or you shouldn't see it. You can only test things
which are deterministic, at least as far as what you observe.
Running tests in a random order should be something you do
manually, only when you have some ability to figure out why the
tests just failed.