Isolated by example

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 2 15:57:55 PDT 2014

On Friday, 2 May 2014 at 18:32:13 UTC, Dylan Knutson wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but this seems really similar to
> how Rust does owned pointers and move semantics. Or is there a
> large conceptual difference between the two that I'm missing?

There is some similarity, but Rust system has a bit more
capabilities. These extra capability come at great increase in
complexity, so I don't think it is worth it.

> I believe that the issues that people are bringing up with bad
> interaction with UFCS, and losing isolated data after passing
> it to a function, are managed in Rust with the notion of a
> borrowed pointers. Perhaps something analogous to this could
> accompany the `isolated` idea?

Yes, rust handle this with burrowed pointers. You can also handle
this by :
  - Passing data back and forth (via argument, and then return it
so the callee get it back).
  - Using a wrapper of some kind.

I don't think getting all the menagerie of Rust pointer types is
a good thing. They certainly allows for a lot, but once again,
come at great complexity cost. If most of it can be achieved with
much lower complexity, that is a win.