The Current Status of DQt

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 3 06:15:58 PDT 2014

On Sat, 03 May 2014 11:00:37 +0000
w0rp via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> So, I am eager to hear what people think about all of this. Does
> anyone like the work that I have done, and will it be useful?
> Have I committed some terrible crime against nature, for which I
> must be punished? Does anyone have any ideas about things that
> could be improved, or where to go next? Please, let me know.

I can't really comment much on your approach or implementation, because I
haven't looked at what you've done, and while I do have some experince with
Qt, I haven't done a lot with it (and I haven't done a lot with GUI
programming in general), so I'm not in a good position to comment on or
review a D wrapper for Qt.

That being said, if I were to write a GUI application in either C++ or D, I
would want to use Qt (preferably Qt5). And given what is on my todo list, I
expect that I'll be looking at writing a GUI application in D within a year
or two. So, having a useable wrapper library for Qt in D is something that
I'm very interested in seeing happen. I wasn't aware of your efforts in that
regard (I was just aware of QtD, though it's not clear to me how actively
developed it is at this point, since it was my understanding that the
original devs dropped it, but I know that some folks have repos of it with
more recent changes), but I'm very glad that someone is taking up this torch,
and I wish you the best of luck with it. I'm just not likely to be of much
help in reviewing or critiquing it at this point. However, there are quite
a few folks around here who are not only much more familiar with GUI
development but who are also very opinionated on the matter, so hopefully
some of them will be able to chime in with useful insights.

- Jonathan M Davis