More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Caligo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 3 20:48:47 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Benjamin Thaut via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> 2) Quit D. (which is becomeing more and more an option when reading the
> recent news group discussions.)
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Benjamin Thaut

I never thought I would say this, but I have begun to move away from D.  I
know others who are doing the same.  The advantages D has over other
languages are slowly diminishing.  Plus, as it is, D is just as complex and
complicated as C++, if not more.  Couple that with the never-ending bugs
and weak development process, there isn't much confidence in choosing D.

One of the main and crippling issues D has is its development process.  Its
inner circle, mainly Walter, Andrei and a few others, do not seem to have a
good understanding of FOSS development process.  For example, Rust is only
a few years old and much younger than D, but it has a greater number of
contributors, and its rate of contributors seems to be growing faster.  D
has failed at recruitment; I always read people (mainly the inner circle)
mention the everlasting low-hanging fruits.  Well, if the number of
contributors was growing then the number of low-hanging fruits would be
decreasing.  Andrei recently introduced the bounty system, which not only
is an insult to those who contribute to FOSS, but it also goes to show that
he really doesn't understand how and why people contribute to FOSS without
ever asking to be compensated.

Last but not least, currently there are two main ways for new features to
make it into D/Phobos: you either have to belong to the inner circle, or
have to represent some corporation that's doing something with D.  I don't
remember seeing a feature that was added to D/Phobos with some on/off
switch that people could try in the next release, and then send in
feedback.  You're in a much better position to make a decision about a
feature if the users have actually used it and reported feedback.  Ahh, and
don't get me started on Phobos review process; it's a joke, it's bogus and
just pathetic.

If D had a sound development process, I don't think we would be having the
problems that we have today.