Running Phobos unit tests in threads: I have data

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 4 00:49:37 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-03 at 19:37 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> I'm using parallel and taskPool from std.parallelism. I was under
> the impression it gave me a ready-to-use pool with as many
> threads as I have cores.

There is a default, related to the number of cores the OS thinks there
is (*), but you can also set the number manually.  std.parallelism could
do with some work to make it better than it already is.

(*) Physical cores are not necessarily the number reported by the OS due
to core hyperthreads. Quad core no hyperthreads, and dual core, two
hyperthreads per core, both get reported as four processor systems.
However if you benchmark them you get very, very different performance
characteristics.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk