The Current Status of DQt

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 4 06:26:45 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 4 May 2014 at 13:08:38 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via
> A remark about your README: it lists as dependencies "A recent
> Qt 4 version, like Qt 4.8".
>
> I think you should be far more explicit, far earlier in the
> README, about exactly which Qt versions are supported.  Pretty
> much the first question I had on my mind, clicking on the link
> to your project, was, "Is this going to support Qt 5.x ... ?"
>
> I also think that a focus on 4.x rather than 5.x is likely to
> be counter-productive.  5.2+ seems to be where all the interest
> is these days.

Qt 4.8 support comes largely from what is possible easily now.
DQt uses SMOKE to wrap Qt. In particular smokeqt, which produces
the SMOKE Qt bindings. You can get smokeqt for Qt 4 straight from
most package managers (Arch Linux, Debian, Gentoo, ...) and it's
also the current master version of the project on git. Someone
has very recently been working on a Qt5 branch for smokeqt, so I
expect Qt 5 support to come soon. Qt5 support for smokeqt will
directly influcence Qt 5 support in DQt, and I might jump on it
early for binding functions as slots. (A Qt 5 feature.)

Qt 4 support basically arises from what is easy to do right now.
Supporting Qt 5 doesn't seem that far off. I went with Qt 4 for
now because it's easier, and at this stage it's more important to
work with something that can actually work and learn from that,
than to try and work with something which might not actually work
at all.