The Current Status of DQt

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 4 06:31:33 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 13:15 +0000, w0rp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> I'm only interested in getting the GUI parts of Qt to work. A lot
> of the features of Qt exist I think because there wasn't a
> reasonable portable alternative in C++ at the time. I think with
> D, there are or will be better alternatives than what Qt offers
> for certain things. (Like a threading implementation, for
> instance.) So my interest in supporting Qt classes only extends
> as far as getting GUI building to work. So I want to use native D
> types like 'string' and 'int[]' as much as possible, rather than
> Qt's types.

I guess a dark corner is going to be GUI network applications (which I
have as one of my pet projects). Qt supports GUI and network on the same
event loop, which is both good and terrible. For PyQt5 with a single
thread (and a GIL) it is great. For languages such as D and C++ which
can manage multiple kernel threads on multicore machines I would think
separate even loops would be better (but I don't yet have any data, I am
just beginning to try this idea out – it is likely that many people have
already trodden this route…) For this latter case the D architecture I
have in mind is vibe.d for network and GtkD or QtD^H^H^HDQt for GUI. I
suspect to do this sensibly needs signals for Qt.
[…]
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk