The Current Status of DQt

Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 4 06:32:12 PDT 2014

Le 04/05/2014 11:21, "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>" a écrit :
> A "meta" question, not related to your specific implementation:
>
> While Qt is certainly the most powerful and comprehensive portable GUI
> framework, it also contains lots of code that's not related to user
> interfaces: strings, multi-threading support, file abstractions,
> containers, databases interfaces, etc. In short: Things which properly
> should be part of the standard library, but aren't (widely) available,
> or not working well enough in C++.
>
> Now, Qt depends on those, and if you want to interact with it, you need
> to use them in your own code. Doesn't that cause a lot of friction? Just
> as a random example, QListView can take its elements from a data source
> ("model"). But in D, that data source might be idiomatically implemented
> as a range, so it has to be adapted first. Or, a more frequent thing:
> char[] vs. QString.
>
> Could it be a better strategy to only re-use low-level functionality of
> Qt internally, but provide more idiomatic public D interfaces for it?

With a friend we created the DQuick project cause of our major interest
of the QtQuick (also called QML) part of Qt framework and also for the
reason you invoke. For us phobos already aim to implement same things
than QtCore, and wrapping primitive types of Qt seems hard and will
introduce design constraint and poor performances. It's certainly bad
for a longterm vision.

IMO DQt will be interesting for those looking for a stable GUI library
based on widget essentially.
DQuick have no chance to be usable in production before years if we
continue to develop it.
We are back after a long break, it's really hard to stay motivated cause
we have some difficulties with points aren't fixed in D, mainly GC
issues, signals,... My friend just find get the property binding working
in D code, but he doesn't like his code :-).

I see DQt/gtkD and DQuick as complementary projects. I hope we will
capable to provide good enough GUI libraries to D community shortly.