Enforced @nogc for dtors?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 5 12:17:11 PDT 2014

Am 05.05.2014 19:46, schrieb Orvid King via Digitalmars-d:
> The current GC cannot allocate within a destructor because of the fact
> that it has to acquire a global lock on the GC before calling the
> actual destructor, meaning that attempting to allocate or do anything
> that requires a global lock on the GC is impossible, because the lock
> has already been acquired by the thread. Admittedly this isn't the way
> it actually fails, but it is the flaw in the design that causes it to
> fail.

This is precisely the point. I see this whole discussion as going around
in circles instead of fixing the GC.

Which is fine, assuming that at the end of the day, D gets a sound
automatic memory management model, be it RC/GC/compiler dataflow based,
which doesn't keep be questioned all the time.

Otherwise, I see this as the second coming of Tango vs Phobos.

--
Paulo