Julia vs. D?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 04:20:32 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 09:11:30 UTC, Chris wrote:
> I recently came across this article
> http://www.wired.com/2014/02/julia/. On the Julia homepage
> there are some benchmarks times relative to C. I know that
> bearophile has mentioned Julia several times on this forum. Has
> anyone compared D's vs Julia's performance as well as design
> features?

I can only comment on design features.

You can think of Julia as a dynamic language similar to Python,
with optional typing and for such a young language, a quite good
JIT compiler backed by the LLVM backend.

It is a multi-paradigm language, with an OO approach based on
multi-methods and direct support for scientific programming.

The target audience are the scientifc community that makes use of
R, Python with NumPy and so on, which are currently disappointed
with the performance of said systems. Their goal is to keep the
programming flexibility of R and Python, while improving the
performance without having to be forced to write C code.

--
Paulo