More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 04:39:08 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 10:58:14 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 6 May 2014 16:33, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 06/05/14 08:07, HaraldZealot wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that I view only part of problem, can anybody link
>>> or describe
>>> me completely state and problems of current garbage
>>> collection and other
>>> resource management? It help me in finding of existence
>>> solution (at
>>> least theoretical).
>>

>> The major issue with the garbage collector is that it's not
>> guaranteed to
>> run a collection. When a collection is run the GC will call
>> the destructors
>> for the objects it collects. If there's no guarantee a
>> collection is run
>> there can be no guarantee that destructors are called. A
>> collection is
>> usually run when allocating new memory and there's not enough
>> memory
>> available.
>
> I think it's also an important consideration that GC is
> incompatible
> with low-memory and real-time environments.

I guess outside the gaming world, embedded and real-time seem to
be getting lots of Java and .NET love:

https://www.aicas.com/cms/

http://www.is2t.com/products/

http://www.mountaineer.org/netmf-for-stm32/

Just a small sample of the partners providing the said support.

--
Paulo