More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 05:39:10 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 11:35:53 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Please, make suggestions! It's been years, and I'm still
> waiting to hear another realistic proposal.

1. Use @nogc and C++ style allocation for hard real time threads
(render logic).

2. Use segmented GC for soft real time threads (world logic).

Lobby for more restrictions/better runtime support from the
compiler for fast precise single-pass regional  (local) garbage
collection. As a bonus you will get faster exception handling too
if identifying stack frames is faster.

Lobby for restrictions:

- C may only call back to @nogc D-functions so you can collect
without C-frames on the stack.

- Allow  omitting framepointers, global call optimization and
stack optimizations for @nogc @nothrow threads.

etc.

The key to performance is to allow specifying constraints that
the compiler and runtime can assume to hold.

The problem with the D community is a lack of priority of system
level programming which is at odds with "safe", "no discipline
needed" and "Java/C# convinience".

No constraints == no performance.