More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 11:10:23 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 17:57:11 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> As I said before, dub has never even occurred to me. No windows
> user
> is likely to naturally think to use a package manager :/
> It's sitting in my phobos fork. Isn't that where everyone keeps
> their
> developments?
>
> If people are pushing dub, then it should really be installed
> with DMD.

DUB should feel pretty natural on any operating system if you are
a Python (PyPi), Ruby (Gems), JavaScript (NPM), Perl (CPAN), or
PHP (PEAR) programmer. Although PyPi I know doesn't work as well
on Windows. (It doesn't explain to you clearly how to install an
MSVC compiler for PIP and what not.) I think it would be healthy
to host supplementary modules first with DUB as third party
modules, and then get them merged into Phobos after they have
seen some real world use. That's sure to result in a faster
turnaround time for going from experimentation to real usage.