More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 15:07:09 PDT 2014

Le 06/05/2014 13:39, Paulo Pinto a écrit :
> On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 10:58:14 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 6 May 2014 16:33, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> The major issue with the garbage collector is that it's not
>>> guaranteed to
>>> run a collection. When a collection is run the GC will call the
>>> destructors
>>> for the objects it collects. If there's no guarantee a collection is run
>>> there can be no guarantee that destructors are called. A collection is
>>> usually run when allocating new memory and there's not enough memory
>>> available.
>>
>> I think it's also an important consideration that GC is incompatible
>> with low-memory and real-time environments.

> I guess outside the gaming world, embedded and real-time seem to be
> getting lots of Java and .NET love:
>
> https://www.aicas.com/cms/

Is that VM full compatible with Java specifications and standard
frameworks?

> http://www.is2t.com/products/
>
> http://www.mountaineer.org/netmf-for-stm32/
>
> Just a small sample of the partners providing the said support.
>

> --
> Paulo

Android works well, I love my nexus, it proves to me that it's possible
to create really smooth applications based completely on Java (not 100%
of that) but if we compare the Nexus 5 to iPhone 4 :
Memory : 2 GB RAM vs 512 MB RAM
CPU : Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 vs 1 GHz Cortex-A8
Battery : Li-Po 2300 mAh battery vs Li-Po 1420 mAh battery

And compared to an iPhone 5s
Memory : 2 GB RAM vs 1 GB RAM
CPU : Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 vs Dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone
Battery : Li-Po 2300 mAh battery vs Li-Po 1560 mAh battery

It's maybe not really significant but the majority of Android devices
that have acceptable performances have a lot of memory, a quad cores CPU
and an heavy battery.

So that cool Java can run smoothly but at which price? I think the
margin of Apple produce is unbelievable.