Julia vs. D?

Mason McGill via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 16:19:46 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 11:28:21 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Maybe it's time to think about a D interface to Julia. If Julia
> catches on within the scientific community, it would be good to
> have a foot in the door. Science quickly creates large code
> bases, unfortunately, so far it's mostly Python and Matlab
> which makes it hard to use the algorithms in real world
> applications.

I've actually been working on just that, on and off for a few
months now. Such a thing is kind of "anti-Julian", though, since
one of Julia's main goals is to reduce or eliminate the need for
mixed-language projects.

However, with D, you can compile small shared libraries that can
be automatically bound to your users' favorite dynamic runtimes
(via compile-time reflection). I'm hoping this will be good for
both D and Julia, allowing library developers to reach a broader
audience, and library consumers greater flexibility.

I'll post on the D "announce" thread when I have something
working, and I'd definitely appreciate tests/bug-reports at that
time!