Julia vs. D?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 23:54:04 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 21:31:32 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Paulo Pinto:
>
>> That is an implementation detail I would say,
>
> It's not an implementation detail, it has consequences on the
> kind of code you are allowed to write, because it's not really
> a dynamic language.  After the JIT compilation it's
> "statically" typed, with some niceties like the type splitting
> you have seen with the x variable. In Julia you can't write all
> the programs you can write in Python. But in practice the
> limitations are not a problem for the scientific code, and the
> advantages are great.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Maybe we are talking across each other, but JIT code is always
statically typed after native code generation.

The approach taken by Julia is no different than other dynamic
languages that enjoy AOT native compilers.

If you mean Julia allows for less dynamic programming cleverness
as Python, there I agree with you.

I guess I need to play more with it, maybe then I can better
grasp what you mean.

--
Paulo