From fields missing names in mailing list

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 7 07:47:24 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 07:19:06AM -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Ever since the mailing list software was changed to say "sender via
> Digitalmars-d," a number of the messages have been from "via
> Digitalmars-d" - they're missing the actual sender. And for many of
> them, the person who sent the message didn't bother to put a signature
> on it, making it so that you can't tell who it's from. One example of
> this is the "Enforced @nogc for dtors?" thread. Several of the
> messages are missing the sender. However, if I look at
> forum.dlang.org, there are names on those posts - e.g. the two posts
> by Ola folsheim Grostad have his name on them in the forum, but his
> name does not show up before "via Digitalmars-d" in the "From" field
> in the e-mails. So, I'm guessing that he posted via the forum, and his
> name got lost somehow when the message was translated into an e-mail
> for the mailing list.
>
> I don't know if this is a problem with the mailing list software, the
> forum software, or both, but it makes it hard to follow who's saying
> what. It's bad enough that everyone's names now have "via
> Digitalmars-d" tacked onto the end of them (since that definitely
> makes the from field harder to read), but not even putting the senders
> name in it makes the thread impossible to follow.
>
> So, I'd appreciate it if we could get this problem sorted out sometime
> soon.  Thanks.
[...]

Not to add to the burden, but one thing that really irks me about this
new "via Digitalmars-d" thing is that the original email addresses are
no longer available (or are they?). This makes it hard to take an
off-topic conversation into private mail. Is it possible to somehow
include the original email address in the name, or perhaps add it in a
custom header (maybe X-Original-Sender:)?

"No, John.  I want formats that are actually useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that address all questions by piling on ridiculous internal links in forms which are hideously over-complex." -- Simon St. Laurent on xml-dev