Allocating a wstring on the stack (no GC)?

Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 7 11:26:07 PDT 2014

I have a very specific use case (JIT compiler) in which I have a
pre-allocated array of wchar string data stored somewhere in
memory. I'd like to be able to create a temporary D wstring
object to pass this as a "regular" string to other functions. For
performance reasons, it would be preferable not to dynamically
allocate or copy any data. Dynamically allocating the strings
tends to trigger the D GC which severely impacts the performance.

So, my question is, would it be possible for me to allocate a
wstring object on the stack, and manually set its string data
pointer and length? If so, how? Your wizardly help is much
appreciated.