More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 7 13:09:00 PDT 2014

Le 07/05/2014 05:58, Manu via Digitalmars-d a écrit :
> On 7 May 2014 08:07, Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> Le 06/05/2014 13:39, Paulo Pinto a écrit :
>>>
>> Android works well, I love my nexus, it proves to me that it's possible to
>> create really smooth applications based completely on Java (not 100% of
>> that) but if we compare the Nexus 5 to iPhone 4 :
>> Memory : 2 GB RAM vs 512 MB RAM
>> CPU : Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 vs 1 GHz Cortex-A8
>> Battery : Li-Po 2300 mAh battery vs Li-Po 1420 mAh battery
>>
>> And compared to an iPhone 5s
>> Memory : 2 GB RAM vs 1 GB RAM
>> CPU : Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 vs Dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone
>> Battery : Li-Po 2300 mAh battery vs Li-Po 1560 mAh battery
>>
>> It's maybe not really significant but the majority of Android devices that
>> have acceptable performances have a lot of memory, a quad cores CPU and an
>> heavy battery.
>>
>> So that cool Java can run smoothly but at which price? I think the margin of
>> Apple produce is unbelievable.
>
> Yeah, these are excellent points that I've tried and perhaps failed to
> articulate properly in the past.
> The amount of 'wasted' resources required to maintain a significant
> surplus on Android devices is ridiculous, and that's why I separated
> phones from other embedded systems. While phones can, and do, do this,
> other embedded systems don't.
> To say we need to leave half of the xbox/ps4 resources idle to soak up
> intermittency is completely unworkable.
>
> It's always important to remember too that the embedded market is by
> far the largest software market in the world.

I started to work on Pocket PC and a year later on Nintendo DS have only
4Mo of RAM. I sill was at school at this date, and it was hard to deal
with so few memory, ROM and video memory was very limited. The project I
worked on was only limited by memory cause of use of precomputed
pictures (it was an old adventure game).
On this console, game vendors have to pay for the ROM and backup
memories, so we put in place some compressions and data packing logics.

 From this time I always take care of avoiding unnecessary absurd
allocations.