Porting DMD compiler to haiku OS

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 8 03:02:52 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 08:18:16 UTC, iridium wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 07:55:04 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 08/05/14 08:53, iridium wrote:
>>
>>> That's what happens when linking:
>>> http://itmages.ru/image/view/1655772/669acb30
>>
>> You need to link with both Phobos and the C standard library.
>> Run "dmd -v main.d" and look at the linking step at the end.
>
> dmd -v test.d result:
> http://itmages.ru/image/view/1655879/d0bb1c62
>
> gcc -o main test.o
> ../../phobos/generated/haiku/release/32/libphobos2.a -lstdc++
> -lroot result: http://itmages.ru/image/view/1655886/0be9d48f

Try linking to druntime alone first, before you start messing
with phobos.  You'll notice that the makefile for druntime builds
a libdruntime-haiku32.a library, if you modify the makefile for
Haiku.  Try building some simple executables with that first
before moving on to phobos.

You need to go through all the TARGET_FREEBSD blocks in the dmd
source and all the version(FreeBSD) blocks in druntime and add
TARGET_HAIKU, version(Haiku), and the appropriate source for
Haiku inside those blocks.  We can't sit here and help you do
that, unless it's something truly unusual that you're unable to
figure out.  Most of these errors seem to be the result of
missing some blocks here and there.

Admittedly, porting to a new OS is not a small job, and you seem
to be going pretty fast.  Keep plugging away at it and I'm sure
you'll be able to figure it out.